An Experiment that You Have to Experience

Ann Maris Walton, PR Editor

NEFRSEF takes place in the Jacksonville Morocco Shrine Center, which is a dark and musty facility. Around the building are several statues of post “shriners”, and on the inside there are multiple slightly creepy pictures of older men.
The Shrine hosts many community activities. However, it is strange that the regional science fair would take place in the same room where ballroom dance classes, monthly steak dinners, and hair and beauty conventions occur. Sometimes, after a long day of judging, students’ eyes burn when they walk outside because their eyes were adjusted to the dark convention center.
On the day of the fair, students must arrive at the Shrine at 7:45 a.m. promptly to ensure they are prepared for judging. Students exchange nervous glances, and the atmosphere is stressful. The tension is taut
At 8:30 when judges enter the floor. The morning judges look for which projects will win each category. To the students the judges are like dementors, gliding from project to project, instilling fear into the students. On any other day, if one were to see a judge in a local Publix they would see them just as a cute middle aged woman in a red cardigan. As judges pass students’ projects, students look at them longingly, trying to entice the judges to listen to their presentations.
The Northeast Florida Regional Science and Engineering Fair (NEFRSEF) took place on February 8th. Prior to the fair, Bolles Students spent countless months preparing for the fair. Thirty-two Bolles project participated in this year’s fair. NEFRSEF enables students to display their projects and receive a bid for the Florida State Science and Engineering Fair, and possibly a bid for one of the two international competitions-ISWEEEP or ISEF.
Dr. Halloran, an AP Biology and Biology Honors teacher and science fair enthusiast, stated, “What makes science fair different than other school experiences is that
it is an entirely student-directed experience. Going to regionals becomes different. Even though the students go as individuals, they act as a team.”
James Staman ‘17, who placed first in his category at NEFRSEF this year and will attend ISEF (the international competition in Los Angeles, California), agrees the atmosphere is very stressful. However, Staman stated, “There is a lot of hard work and stress involved with science fair, but overall it is a great experience because you get to be with your friends, and once you win it really pays off because all of your hard work gets recognized. ”
Throughout the day, students talk to tons of judges. With all of this talking, they can get really parched, so it’s important to bring a water bottle! However, the only downside to staying hydrated is when one has to go to the bathroom…It is scary for one to leave his or her project to go to the bathroom because he or she might miss a judge. It is not good to leave your board during judging because if you miss a judge it could hurt your opportunity to place well or receive an award.
Sneha Reddy 18’, who placed first at the international fair ISWEEEP last year, has a strategy to combat this dilemma. Reddy said, “I make sure if I have to go to the bathroom to look around for judges, and then sprint to the bathroom and pray that a judge doesn’t come. Luckily, I have a partner for backup, so I am not at as much of a risk as some people, but it still is scary.”
11:30 is lunchtime. Lunch provides a much needed break for the students to relax, rejuvenate, and most importantly go to the bathroom. After lunch, the afternoon judging takes place. The majority of the judges in the afternoon are special awards judges, so they are looking for projects that meet very specific criteria. Students wait patiently, and hope for judges to wander by their boards.
Around 4 o’clock, students are dismissed to go home. After an exhausting day of presenting, a nap is always beneficial.Reddy stated: “when I get home, I collapse.” The lush pillows and snugly blankets of one’s bed become all the more inviting after a day packed with talking to intimidating people, and standing on your feet for countless hours.
The awards ceremony takes place the following night. The ceremony is exciting because all of the Bolles students act as a team, and support their fellow classmates when they win awards. Like a football team chants before a big game, the Bolles Science Fair Squad is very vocal during the awards ceremony. Every time a Bolles students wins an award, the Bolles section goes wild with cheers and claps. They definitely are the most spirited bunch out of all the schools that attend the ceremony.
The awards ceremony can be nerve-wracking.Students sit on the edge of their chairs, knees shaking, their backs a little bit sweaty, and their hearts racing. Reddy commented, “ You do not want to hear your name first because that means you don’t place as well. On the other hand, it is stressful if you do not hear your name for a long time because there is always the possibility you might never hear it!”
Overall, win or lose science fair is a great experience. One can meet new people from other schools, gain public speaking skills, and have an opportunity to learn about a topic they previously would not have.