Inauguration in the Nation and on Campus: Are Celebrities Justified in Protesting the Inauguration?

Andrew Culver, Contributing Writer

On January 20th, most Bolles students were devoting their focus towards doing well on their science exams. However, millions of people had their eyes on Washington as Donald Trump, now the 45th President of the United States, was inaugurated.

Controversy has surrounded the Inauguration as many popular musicians have declined invitations to perform at the ceremony. We caught up with Bolles students on both sides of the aisle to find opinions of Trump and his Inauguration on our campus.

Ross Petrou (‘17), who identifies as a Conservative, described Trump as a good “wild card” candidate for the Presidency. He also said that while he thinks the celebrities that are refusing to attend should accept that Trump is our President and respect him, he understands where they’re coming from.

Jared DeMarco (‘17), a self-proclaimed Liberal, respected the celebrities’ decision not to attend as well. “There’s no reason to perform for something you don’t believe in” said DeMarco. On Trump, DeMarco said “I don’t really like him, especially as a person. He might do some good things economically. I don’t think it’s going to be the best Presidency. I don’t think it’s going to be the worst, though.”

Overall, Bolles students respect the decisions of celebrities not to attend the Inauguration