Tweets and Tricks for the Story You’re Telling on Social Media

Tweets and Tricks for the Story Youre Telling on Social Media

Kennedy McKinney, Contributing Writer

Let’s set one thing straight: social media isn’t all bad. It’s actually an easy way to impress potential colleges. If you know they are going to look at your online accounts, you might as well look good. By structuring your accounts to look professional, it is easy to impress your desired college or job.

Most adults define social media as “as a useless pastime”, but not everyone thinks so. Some people (not including teens) think it is very beneficial. TechieTeacher5280 AKA Julie, is a teacher by day and a blogger by night, thinks that using social media is a very important and useful tool.

TechieTeacher and I did a Facebook interview and she gave me five main ideas on the IMPORTANCE of social media that apply to all age groups.

1. Helps you stay connected with friends and family
  2. Keeps you up to date on local, national, and international news
  3. Keeps you educated on a variety of topics, which can help you conversation-wise
  4. The connections you create can help you find employment
  5. Get support (fundraisers) and Information (Involvement in community) about a variety of topics including health conditions, social issues, college advice, etc.

She also has pointers on how it is useful. Social Media is great for all of these things but does not amount to anything if you aren’t aware of how to use it in the first place. “I think the key to smart use of social media is being cognizant of the permanence of what you post as well as the potentially huge audience you may garner” says Techie Teacher. “I used to tell my students that if you wouldn’t want your grandmother, boss, or teacher to see/read or what you’re posting, then you shouldn’t post it.

Social media is also important for college.

Although this is fairly new, colleges now look at your “public persona” and review it before sending you acceptance or rejection letter.  A recent study from Kaplan has found that 31% of college admission officers check social media to see if an applicant would make a good fit at their college. That number is up by 5% from last year. The study also reported that 12% of college admission applicants were rejected because of what the college saw on social media… all of that studying and stress wasted at the expense of a tweet or inappropriate picture.

Reagan Banks, former Bolles athlete, and Brittany Rayfield, a 2016 alum, told me about how important their social medias are in college. “You have to be careful because your coach is watching believe it or not, but if you’re focused then you’ll be fine!”, says Banks who is a freshman at FSU. Rayfield, a freshman at USF told me about how they have a “Social Media Watcher” who goes through their tweets, post, Instagram pictures, etc. “I personally have never posted anything because I knew about the college recruiting process and my mom was always looking at my social media to make sure there wasn’t anything on there that could harm that process.”

Emily Goldman, another Bolles alumni, is a blogger and assistant editor at Hertzman Media. She told me how social media presence wasn’t such a big deal for her in High School but now in her career it is very important.  “I find myself striving to grow my presence so I can be on an even playing field with the full-fledged fashionistas”

Social Media is an important tool to use and will help you to succeed in life… if you use it right.