Chess Board Receives Positive Feedback

Chess Board Receives Positive Feedback

Alex Hastings, Contributing Writer

Recently, the Bolles School installed a life-size chess board in the grass area outside the library, in front of Schultz Hall. A wide variety of students gather to play, and reacted positively to the installation.

“Chess is a game of strategy, which makes it entertaining”, says Brandon Stam ’19.

At lunch, Stam challenged Andrew Hendrick ’19 to a quick game before starting homework. It’s become a part of their daily schedule now. “Everyday I play with Andrew and some others”, says Stam, his eyes pinned on the board searching for his next move. Hendrick says he plays “every once in awhile”, also absorbed in the intense match.

Delaney Gray ’19 and John Bengermino ’17 casually look at the game while walking by. Gray says she’s seen something like it at the Town Center, but rarely plays. She admires how it diversifies Bolles and would like to see more outdoor activities, “like ping pong and cornhole to relieve my stress”.

Bengermino usually spends his lunch at the tree with other seniors and occasionally he’ll play. “Its something to do during your off period.” John says it important to challenge your friends and is glad Bolles put in the chess board. “I’d like to see more of this kinda stuff”, says Bengermino.