Latin Forum Festivities

Salma Shaalan, Contributing Writer

On Saturday, February 4th, Latin students from all over Jacksonville gathered at Bolles to compete in Ancient Greek Olympic events, various tests on a wide range of Classical topics, artistic projects, and be judged on their costumes.

Alice Creed, a Latin II student, stated that she was most excited this year for the apple race, which is an event modeled after the myth of Atalanta and Hippomenes. Students have to race 200-meters while picking up 3 apples scattered on the course.

Olivia Harris, a Latin III student, who had won first place in her projects since 8th grade, says that projects are by far her favorite event. “ Each year there are so many original projects and you just don’t know what you’re going to get. I love just looking at them.” This year she made a sculpture mimicking a bust of Augustus.

Those who place highest in the regionals competition go to the states competition where there are even more events to compete in, such as Impromptu Art. In this event students are given arbitrary materials and one hour to make a piece of art that resembles a selected myth.

All Latin students are encouraged to participate. Olivia Harris says it’s something she looks forward to every year. “Forum is great to show your talents, meet new people, and be nerdy.”