Bolles Bugle Online

Bolles Bugle Online

Crazy Rich Asians

Crazy Rich Asians succeeded because it was a good movie, and because of the East Asian cast. Unlike most blockbusters, the cast list represents a variety of Asian ethnic groups: Chinese, Filipina, and Thai. Movie critics said it was the first of its kind.
But, non-white casts have been around longer than people may think.
Flower Drum Song is a fully Asian cast movie that came out in 1961. Want proof that ethnically diverse casts aren’t a new thing? This movie may have even come out before your parents were born.
Slumdog Millionaire’s (2008) entire cast was Indian (except for one) and was released worldwide to win eight Academy Awards including best picture, best director, and best-adapted screenplay. Not to mention, the movie won 4 Golden Globes.
However, even though the cast is made up of nonwhite leads, this movies can be accused of stereotyping. After release, it was criticized for using the words “slum” and “dog” in the title and for too many western stereotypes of Indian slums.
The 2005 Memoirs of a Geisha had an Asian cast 13 years before Crazy Rich Asians hit the big screens. Westerners really liked the movie but Chinese and Japanese viewers gave negative reviews because the history on the geishas was incorrect.
It scored a 35% approval rating from Rotten Tomatoes. Critics said it was too much like a soap opera and seconded the accusations of historical inaccuracy. However, The Evening Standard put Memoirs of a Geisha on their Top Ten Film list.
Movies with predominantly African-American casts have been popular since before Moonlight (2016) but it was one of the first to tell the story of an African-American character who is gay.
It won best motion picture, best picture, best-supporting actor, and best-adapted screenplay.
The Butler (2013) split their main cast, half African-American and half white. While it received negative reviews from the Los Angeles Times and the New York post, it was nominated in 24 categories, at nine different award ceremonies, and won five. Past President Barack Obama spoke about how it made him tear up, thinking about all the butlers who worked at the white house but could not go any further in life because of Jim Crow laws.
The movie McFarland (2017) portrayed what it was like for Latino people who could not get a strong education because of the need to work on the family farm.
The jury is still out on whether or not Crazy Rich Asians will earn nominations and awards. But they had the same aspect of having an almost full cast of an ethnic group that does not get a fair amount of screen time.
Whether or not a movie wins awards, it can make an impact on viewers.

The student news site of The Bolles School
Crazy Rich Asians