Lock(er) Rooms

Lock%28er%29+Rooms

Aoife O'Riordan, Literary Editor

Starting second semester, Bolles has implemented a new rule regarding the locker rooms around campus.

Between 3:45 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., the boys’ and girls’ locker rooms will be open for athletes to change for their practice. By 4:00 p.m., however, which is when most sports begin their practices, a coach is to lock the locker rooms until after practice.

To ensure safety for all athletes, their belongings will remain locked in the locker rooms until the end of practice. If they need to leave early for some reason, they must bring their bags with them and set them on the field and out of the way of other athletes.

While this new rule helps to ensure athletes’ belongings are safely stored and that girls and boys can have their expected privacy while changing, there are a few concerns.

Many middle schoolers do sports on the high school campus and get to the San Jose campus at 4:15 p.m. at the earliest. By that time, the locker rooms are locked, thus preventing them from having anywhere to change.

Track and field distance runner, Ally Hajda stated, “If athletes forget  their watches or spikes, they have to go through the trouble of finding a coach to unlock the locker room which is inconvenient. People should be able to leave their things safely and be able to come and get their items whenever they need to.”

However, coaches are working to find a place for middle schoolers to change as well as making this new rule as efficient as possible.

While Bolles continues to succeed in athletics, the safety of the athletes and the security of their belongings is put first, and with slight problems, Bolles will strive to fix them to ensure each athlete can have a safe environment to change.