Fight Against Hunger Club feeds families one set at a time

To provide Thanksgiving dinners for underprivileged families in Jacksonville, the Fight Against Hunger Club hosted a fundraiser in the form of a volleyball tournament. This year was the second year of the tournament, after club co-presidents Bella Bergeron and Macy Pargman founded the Fight Against Hunger Club last year. 

Seven teams played in a knockout-style tournament where they played short games to twelve points. Both students and faculty showed their support for the Jacksonville community by participating in the tournament as players, line judges, commentators, and spectators. 

Hailey Christy

The tournament grew even more from last year with the addition of a teacher team. Pargman knew the addition “raise more awareness, and more people will show up.” 

Mrs. Willis, who was a member of the teacher team, added how she was “excited to play since I play beach volleyball regularly and this was an opportunity to play with other faculty members for a good cause.”

“The overall goal of our club is to help limit food poverty in our community, especially in Jacksonville because a lot of people are homeless in Jacksonville.” The tournament that they hosted raised $500 to provide Thanksgiving dinners to those in need. 

The money went directly to buying food, which was then donated to a local organization near school. Bergeron recognizes that “a lot of people don’t know where their next meal is coming from,” which is why she is dedicated to feeding the Jacksonville community. 

Hailey Christy

Bergeron and Pargman have both been members of the Bolles Varsity Volleyball team since their freshman year, which is why they decided to use their love of volleyball as a way to help out their community. “We love volleyball. Other people love volleyball… and we were like, why not make it a fundraiser?” stated Bergeron. They knew the tournament would be a fun alternative from the usual bake sale fundraisers that other clubs often host. 

“It was fun to see so many teams participate, and others come out to watch,” Willis said.

Bergeron is hopeful that other people in the club will continue the tournament in the following years after she and Pargman graduate. Through the continuation of the tournament, the Fight Against Hunger Club hopes not only to help out people in need during the Thanksgiving season, but also bring the Bolles community together through a series of fun volleyball games. 

About the Contributor
Hailey Christy
Hailey Christy, Contributing Writer
Hailey Christy is a senior and first-year staffer who is bringing her video production skills into Bugle. Hailey also enjoys playing soccer and hanging out with her siblings in her free time. In college, she hopes to pursue a career in the industrial field to use her skills of 3D modeling.