Mr. Skapetis joins the Science Department

Mr. Skapetis Joins the Science Department.

Devan Skapetis is thrilled to join the Science Department at Bolles.

Skapetis is no stranger to teaching; in fact, this will be his twelfth year. He has taught at Duval County High, First Coast High, and most recently, Riverview High.

At one point in his life, it seemed like teaching Science was out of the picture. He took a gap year between high school and college to try to discover what he wanted to do for a living. While on his time off, he dabbled in many different professions, such as working in a restaurant and being a sales representative. 

After his gap year, he attended University of West Florida. While picking his major, he realized that teaching could be a great opportunity. 

“I knew I always wanted to be a teacher, but I didn’t know what I would want to teach. When I was picking my major, I realized Physics was my favorite subject in high school, so I went with that.”

In his free time, Skapetis is a major nature enthusiast. An ideal weekend for him consists of reading a good book, going on a picturesque hike in the mountains, going camping with friends, playing with his dog Mickey, and playing his beloved acoustic guitar. 

So far in his short time teaching at Bolles, Skapetis has enjoyed every second being on campus.

When asked what his favorite thing about Bolles so far, Skapetis said, “The students. The students, the general people’s pleasure and attitudes toward learning and always wanting to be challenged.”

About the Contributor
Jack Laufer
Jack Laufer, Contributing Writer
Jack Laufer is a freshman and first-year staffer. In his free time Jack enjoys playing and assistant coaching baseball, participating in Speech and Debate, and playing guitar. Jack hopes to gain strength in his writing and stay in touch with the news this year. Jack collects all types of sports jerseys and hopes to become a broadcaster in the future.