Racing to States

Racing to States

With track season starting up, it’s time to preview what lies ahead for the 2024 season. Last season, both the boys and girls track teams won their state championships. Despite the loss of some great runners, the Bolles teams hope to repeat their championship success come 2024. 

Coach Rivera was hired as the head of the entire track program back in 2019 and has helped both the girls and boys track and field team win state titles, with the girls winning in the 2021, 2022 and 2023 seasons and the boys winning state titles in 2019 and 2023.

When asked what he thinks of this upcoming season, Rivera pointed out how even though they lost some great runners from last year, it’s up to the team to develop some new leaders and that will be one of the keys to success.

“I talked to the team yesterday and I pointed out how we are going to need leaders in every event and how it will help us throughout the entire season,” Rivera said.

Coach Ryan has been the head coach of the girls distance team since 2003. He has led the track team to six state titles and the cross country team to 10 state titles.

“Well, it’s a long track season, so a lot of people get very excited for that first meet, and I understand that. But what we do is we just talk about the process and gradual improvement from early season meets to later on.” 

Ryan also added,“For us, our focus is being in pretty good shape by the Bulldog Classic on the first of March, and then really picking it up by around FSU [meet] on the 22nd of March.”

Coach Ryan and the girls have won the state championship three years running. When asked about what this team can do this year, Ryan mourned the loss of last year’s seniors but expressed confidence in the team.

“Well, obviously, we lost some big, big point scorers, especially o[n the distance side. I mean, Jillian Candelino out of the team is a huge chunk of points, and other girls as well. But I’m optimistic with this group. They are a good group. They’re very young.” 

Ryan pointed out,“we can only control what we can control. So we’re going to do the best that we can. I still think we can, even though we lost some very good seniors.”

Coach Kyle Martin is the head coach for the Bolles sprints team. 

“I’m looking at all the people that are coming on track to introduce them to the new world of track, get them to try some new events, see what they like. Also looking forward to people that are coming out, that have been coming out for the last few weeks. To see their hard work pay off in the new season and then hopefully some good performances come postseason” Martin said.

Martin also added on what he thought of the team and their capabilities “I think they’re capable of great things as long as they are willing to put in the work that’s needed for those great outcomes to happen. But they seem like a good group of kids, so I’m excited.”

About the Contributor
Nikolas Azevedo
Nikolas Azevedo, Contributing Writer
Nikolas is a junior and first-year staffer for the second semester, originally from California, Nikolas joined the Bugle to contribute his knowledge on the world of sports. Nikolas joined the Bugle to prep for college where he wants to study sports journalism. When Nikolas isn't writing he is hanging out with friends and cheering on his favorite sports teams.