New English Elective: Post-9/11 American Studies

Bolles has many memorials celebrating U.S. history around campus.

Andrew Culver

Andrew Culver, Contributing Writer

As Bolles students progress into their Junior and Senior years, some students want to take a more focused approach to the subjects they enjoy. Michael Mulvey, an English teacher here at Bolles, will begin teaching a semester long class called “Post-9/11 American Studies” for Bolles Seniors.

The class will mainly revolve around American culture from the 70s and 80s to contemporary times. They will gain a solid understanding of American culture and perspectives leading up to 9/11, and they will also research American culture Post-9/11, analyzing the effect 9/11 had on American society.

“The class is going to explore how America has changed since 9/11” said Mr. Mulvey. There will be no textbook, and materials will consist of primary sources, novels, and several films. Mr. Mulvey says that the class will be a “Spring semester elective”, and is “geared toward seniors… (but) Juniors will be considered based on enrollment”.

Students will also get to present a final project for the class. They will get to present their “researched opinion” on how our country has changed since 9/11. Mr. Mulvey is excited to give students the opportunity to take ownership of their studies, rather than simply following a textbook. The class will follow the standard English department rules for exam exemptions.

Many students are very excited about the new class. “9/11 was such an important date in American history” says Nick McIntyre (‘17), who will have the opportunity to take the class next year. “I think it’s important for American citizens to understand the reasons behind and results of the attack”. Christian Glover (‘17) also says he is very interested in the class, calling Mr. Mulvey one of his “favorite teachers”.

With many students interested in this unique and thought provoking course, Post-9/11 American Studies is poised to make a big splash next year as part of the Bolles curriculum.