DSAJ Brings Awareness to Jacksonville

Sarah Simmons, DSAJ

Photo Caption (all photos): Having fun at DSAJ events, socials, and more! Photo Credit (all photos): Sarah Simmons, DSAJ

Sara Wasserman, Copy/Student Life Editor

The Down Syndrome Association of Jacksonville (DSAJ) was created in 1989 with a mission “to create a community that is accepting of people with Down Syndrome, as well as giving individuals and their families with Down syndrome programs and services to enhance their lives,” explained DSAJ Director of Development, Amanda Anderson.

The DSAJ works to provide medical outreach to the families of those with Down Syndrome. When people in Jacksonville receive a prenatal Down Syndrome diagnosis, they are provided with DSAJ resources and contact information. “They’re also passing on our information, and leaning towards us for education on that diagnosis, and how we can help families.” Anderson explained.

The DSAJ provides a multitude of resources for their community. One of their largest programs focuses on employment for individuals with Down Syndrome, which the DSAJ’s vocational rehabilitation specialist works with employers to put into action. “She works with our people out in the field and helping them gain the skills and knowledge to perform this job,” Anderson said.

“Our overall mission is that we are creating a community that’s accepting of individuals with Down Syndrome their lives.” — Amanda Anderson

Every month, the DSAJ hosts socials for each of their four age groups, which include activities
like movie nights, workout classes, and theater games. Volunteering at these events is a great way to make an impact in the community and help the organization grow, as the DSAJ requires around 40 volunteers to make the events happen each month. “They just love the social aspect of us all coming together. So volunteering at our socials is another fun thing to do. Those definitely make us like one big community,” DSAJ Programs and Communications Director, Sarah Simmons said.

The largest fundraiser hosted by the organization is the Buddy Walk, which raises awareness and funds for the DSAJ. On October 15th, this year will mark the 20th Annual Buddy Walk. “It’s probably the biggest event in Jacksonville that we do to raise awareness for individuals with Down Syndrome,” Anderson said.

“The number one thing is to include our people, they’re just like me and you…” — Amanda Anderson

Funds from the Buddy Walk help the DSAJ improve and increase the resources and education that they have been providing for years. Some of these resources include different types of physical and speech therapy, as well as swim lessons, which are important to be able to provide to each family. “The kids with Down Syndrome are just fearless. So drowning is a scary thing and we really want to be able to help prevent that,” Anderson explained.

Photo Caption: An event hosted by the DSAJ
Photo Credit: Sarah Simmons

One of the DSAJ’s main visions for the future is to work even more with parents of children with Down Syndrome. The aim is to further help them navigate their child’s life and what kinds of extra support will be beneficial to their child. “We’re going to bring therapists in, and doctors, and help really work through what to expect during life and how to get support,” Simmons said.

Photo Caption (all photos): Having fun at DSAJ events, socials, and more!
Photo Credit (all photos): Sarah Simmons, DSAJ

Overall, the DSAJ explains that the best thing to do to support the organization is to include people with Down Syndrome in all aspects of life, Anderson emphasized. “The number one thing is to include our people, they’re just like me and you and they have the same wants and desires as you and I do. So I think anytime that we have a chance to see them as our equals and include them in our everyday lives, it enhances theirs too.”