New Dress Code Policy: Boys Don’t Have to Wear Ties on Wednesday

Juniors John Norcross and Sai Kancha sport button downs sans ties before APUSH.

Ann Maris Walton, Contributing Writer

Groundbreaking! Earth Shattering! Awe-inspiring news! On Wednesday April 20th, the boys on The Bolles School San Jose Campus were permitted to wear the business casual look: an oxford button down shirt without a tie.

Student Council, working alongside the administration and Mr. Hodges, has worked hard to establish this new policy. The new policy, which was in the daily bulletin stated: “We will be revisiting this amendment periodically during the rest of the semester to determine if it should continue next year. Students can wear dress shirts with no tie (business casual) on Wednesdays. This would be in addition to the existing option to wear Bolles golf shirts. All other aspects of the US Student Dress Code remain the same.”

On campus, many boys participated in the new “business casual” policy. Sophia Whalen (’18) likes the new look for the boys. Whalen said “ I like it without the tie because it seems more comfortable, but the rest of the uniform still looks professional.”

Now, on Wednesday, the gentlemen on the San Jose have one less thing to do in the morning, saving them approximately 10-15 seconds! Brandon Boyle (’18) pointed out that “Wednesday is slightly more convenient for me now than other days.”

The new policy does not appear to have affected student work habits. “I honestly forgot about it,” said English teacher Ms. Jacobson. “But if it makes Wednesday a happier day for the guys, great. Can the male teachers do it too?”

So far, the response on campus has been positive for the new policy. It will be interesting if it becomes a permanent policy for the next school year.