The “PS” in PSAT Stands for Prepared Student!

Laina Segel, Copy Editor

If you’re a sophomore or junior and you’re still struggling to believe that summer vacation’s over, take a deep breath before you read this next sentence.

The PSAT  happens October 19th.  Students will register for the test during the school day,  in mandatory convocations called “pre-administration”: juniors on September 9th and sophomores on October 10th.

Did you take a deep breath?  Good.  

You’re ready to read the next line: the PSAT is just six weeks away!  Now, there are a few—

Wait! Exhale! Don’t forget to exhale! Are you with me now? That’s it: in for two, out for two.  As in, number two pencil.  And don’t forget, a College Board certified calculator.  As for registering –

You look awfully red.  Why are your eyes bulging?  Breathe! Breathe!   And while you are breathing, consider the following question:
In the above sentence, the word “red” most nearly means:
a) a vibrant, celebratory color
b)a healthy, robust glow
c) a panicked, terrified flush; usually a precursor to a primal scream

Did you pick “C”?  You are right.  

But keep in mind, six weeks is a pretty long time.  In fact, it’s plenty of time to make sure you’re prepared.  Bolles encourages students to study a little every day; by October, you’ll be surprised by how much you’ve retained.  Bolles math teacher Mrs. Quesada, who teaches an SAT prep class over the summer, advises students to be familiar with the PSAT format and content:  “I would definitely get a copy of The Official Student Guide for the PSAT/NMSQT,” she says. “Be sure you have a calculator you’re comfortable with…take the practice test, and be familiar with the instructions.”  

Also, Mrs. Quesada urges all students taking the PSAT to approach their teachers and ask questions about material they’re unsure of.   

Most important, don’t panic.  The PSAT is an important test, but it’s just one of many important tests.   We’ll do great on some; on others, not so great.  At Bolles, getting a perfect score isn’t the most important thing.  What’s important is meeting each challenge with confidence and optimism.  Take the time to prepare now, and take advantage of Bolles’ teachers, who are always available to answer questions and offer advice.  Zero hour is the best time to ask!

Here’s the link to The Official Student Guide for the PSAT/NMSQT: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/official-student-guide-psat-nmsqt.pdf

This guide includes a list of approved calculators, practice tests, and regulations.  

Are you still breathing?  Good! The PSAT isn’t that scary.  And by the way, the word “red” can also mean: D) a symbol of boldness, confidence, and success.