‘Cause I’m Happy – An Interview with Happy Club President, Alexandra Bishop

Bishop posts weekly quotes that make students of all grades happier through her club.

Journey Wise, Contributing Writer

The Happy Club, a club that promotes “a lot of smiles and happy vibes”, has been active on campus throughout the year. Recently, Bugle writer Journey Wise sat down with Alexandra Bishop, the Happy Club President, to talk about her organization and their mission.

How did you come up with the idea for the Happy Club?

One of the first colleges I ever toured was Northwestern University in Chicago with my older sister. Our tour guide was a member of the Happiness Club there and she raved on and on about how it really helped create school spirit, lift people’s spirits around hard times of the year, and brought a lot of smiles and happy vibes around campus. I thought Bolles could succeed even more if morale around campus was high.

Do you think you have been successful in your mission so far?

Honestly, yes. When people see those smiley face stickers or even a smile on someone else’s face, it reminds them and encourages them to be happy too. Many students and faculty have come up to me and George to ask about the club or for some encouragement.  

What is your idea of happiness?

To me, happiness is enjoying every moment: both good and bad, and living life the way you want to.

What color is happiness?

Yellow. I think when people think of happy they think smiley faces, which our society has chosen to associate with yellow.

Do you think you have become a happier person as a result of starting and running the club?

100% yes! I get excited for the events and can’t wait to put a smile on someone’s face.  It has helped me get through long days and it is so rewarding to see someone happy because of something the club has done.

What kind of events or services do you provide for the student population?

This year we have given out free lemonade, chips and salsa, popcorn, candy-corn, stickers, pancakes, cookies, mother’s day cards, coloring for stress relief and pretzels.  We also give out free happy grams and post weekly happy quotes on the club schoology page.

Do you have any plans for future events/activities? Is there something that you have always wanted to do with the club?

Some fun ideas have come up in meetings like funnel cakes, silent dance parties, and giving out more to the community outside of Bolles.

What has been the biggest challenge that the club has faced?

Sometimes it is hard to get students excited and happy, but ultimately it makes us as a club, think and work harder to make that happen.  And the members really make the club.  They constantly propose different ideas to make our peers smile.

What are plans for leadership?

Elections are coming up and it would be great to see different students run for positions and create a happier environment around school.