Struggling with Speeches?

Tips for Speech Giving from Bolles Teachers

Laina Segel, Contributing Writer

At some point, every Bolles student has been assigned to write a speech.  Many students find public speaking to be the most challenging aspect of their classes.  While speeches may not seem more complicated than any other writing assignment, a good speech contains several aspects that students don’t always learn in English class.  

There is no MLA guideline for speech writing; a speaker must write for a specific audience.  Bolles English and Public Speaking teacher, Andrew Dickson, stated that, “There are different genres of speech that require different forms.”  Speeches can be formal or informal, but they have to fit the occasion. Mr. Dickson continued, “The main rule of thumb is to draw from experience.”

Students often aim to memorize speeches word for word.  But hours spent memorizing a script can turn out to be a waste of time.  Speaking to an audience makes most students nervous, causing them to forget what they memorized.  According to a 2013 study at Harvard University, stress and nervousness cause lapses in memory; in fact, “You may end up forgetting something simply because you were not really paying attention or had too much on your mind,” said Daniel Pendick, former executive editor of Harvard Men’s Health Watch.

While good speakers may memorize a few lines, they focus mainly on having a good understanding of their points. In an email, Bolles English teacher Jeff Creter advised, “Do not attempt to memorize a speech – be so familiar with your content that you can talk naturally and confidently about your subject.”

Successful speakers have adequate knowledge of their topic, and find a tone appropriate for the occasion.  Every speech will succeed if speakers believe what they say, and inspire others to believe it, too.