New Sculptures in the Galley Courtyard

Art students pose with new sculptures.

Alex Hastings, Contributing Writer

“Seeing something surprising in a place you hadn’t expected to see it before is an important part of enjoying life.”

Recently, a set of glazed ceramic totems were placed outside the Art Gallery. According to Helen Meatte, teacher of some of the nearly 70 students that collaborated for this project, the new sculpture is one of hopefully many to come.

“The sculptures are pure design.”

The students in all Foundations classes were given instructions to do whatever they pleased with a small piece of a large scale project. Collaborative projects meant to ”grab attention” have been done in the past: a large portrait of Mr. Smith and an “accordion” piece of the former President, Mr. Johnson.

However this new sculpture is the first large collaborative project allowed to be featured outside of the gallery.

“It’s always been Mr. Smith’s dream to have a sculpture garden.”

Meatte and her colleagues, Mr. Smith and Mrs. Gonzalez, all look forward to an area designated for student art.

So far, the courtyard outside of the gallery is the only place that doesn’t cause “controversy”, in other words, attention that may lead to its removal. They have asked permission to place projects in areas such as Schultz courtyard, but they have been denied.

As for the Foundation teacher’s’ vision of a sculpture garden outside the gallery, the request has not been denied or accepted. Meatte reasons jokingly that,“It’s better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.”