Throwback Thursday: Letters from Students Remind Us of War’s Cost

Ben Greenhut, Contributing Writer

In this Throwback Thursday, we focus on a dark time for Bolles and for America, World War II. A time where many  cadets of Bolles were preparing to enter the largest armed conflict in history.

An article written by the Bolles Bugle in early 1942 reminds Bolles students that if they are called into the military, they must serve honorably. Ironically, the author writes that “This war we are fighting now isn’t a war of brawn” and “Manpower is no longer of importance”. The irony holds strong when history lets us realize that 407,300 American Service Members–that unimportant manpower–were killed.

It is amazing to think that 17 and 18 year old kids everywhere were facing the prospect of being in battle, whereas these days the biggest worry for modern teenagers is getting their homework done.

In a letter written by a Bolles cadet, the cadet describes, “A boy by the name of Vebbart, a football player and commander of Co. A” who entered the dining hall at supper and said, ‘The Japs are bombing Pearl Harbor’.”

The letter writer, Bill Hochheim, describes reaction of the cadets and their teachers. “The dining room was in turmoil that night and Major Hooker had to announce that the school would not close, but some of the faculty would have to go”.

Pearl Harbor changed millions of lives, as well as history. Its impact was felt throughout the nation, and the world. Hochheim eloquently recounts the cost of war, “My own feelings were sober and sad. I knew that Bolles boys would be killed”.