The Bolles Bugle

The Bolles Bugle

The Bolles Bugle

Senior Sentiments #6: Housing in College

Right about this time of year, seniors are committed to a college or are pretty sure which one they will commit to. The next step for them is figuring out where to live.

You may opt for on-campus housing, apartments, or if you go to a college near home, staying with your family. Many factors will contribute to what you choose for housing, but these are just a couple of things to consider from a current senior girl weighing all her options.

Housing on campus:

It comes with its pros, cons, and challenges. I have gathered this as a first-generation college student figuring it all out.

Finding roommates is hard: Elli Trager, a senior looking for a roomie, said, “The process was at first intimidating but then I realized everyone was in the same boat of trying to find a roommate.” 

The process can be difficult, but there are resources like college groups and Instagram 2028 pages of committed students that most people use to get to know potential roomies through direct messages.

Trager says when looking for a roommate, “I considered their hobbies/interests, major and where they are from.” If you use these as guidelines, you can be sure to find someone you can get along with well.

Housing goes quick:

Some colleges may be different but most will let you apply for housing before committing as long as you are willing to put down a deposit that you will not fully be reimbursed for.

There are different options, usually:

The best options, like private rooms and bathrooms, are typically going to be taken first, so make sure you are on top of your college deadlines if you are interested in any of those accommodations.

If not, you can always opt for a smaller number of roommates unless you are interested in living with a lot of people. Typically you will be paired with people around your age unless you choose people that are older than you, but again that is all personal preference.

Housing off campus:

If you want a more private option,  you can always look at studio apartments or different types of apartments depending on the size of your budget. 

If you are still interested in the college roommate experience but want more room and privacy, there are programs in apartment complexes that allow you to search for roommates in two- to four-bedroom apartments. These apartments may be affiliated with your college or they may have their roommate matching programs.

Sororities/Fraternities:

These student-run communities are a great way to branch out, meet new people, get out of your comfort zone, and explore internship and volunteer opportunities

These opportunities are very specific for each college and community so if you are interested in joining one, reach out to your college and see what options there are.

Don’t get too stressed about finding housing. You can always reach out to your college, college counselors, and parents for help. It will be a part of the college journey, so you should do your research and figure out which option suits your preferences best. 

About the Contributor
Caylee Padgett
Caylee Padgett, Online Editor-In-Chief
Caylee Padgett is a senior and third-year staffer and this year's Online Editor-In-Chief. She is active in track and field (javelin) and enjoys crocheting, drinking tea, and reading in her free time. Her goal in Bugle this year is to improve readers' experience on the Bugle website. The most awe-inspiring place Caylee has visited is Japan and she hopes to visit there again in the future.