Is Having Soccer Districts and Regionals During Exams a Good Thing?

Claire Cywes, Contributing Writer

This year, boys and girls varsity has regionals or districts during exams and exam review week.  The girls have regionals and the boys have districts.  Some find this helpful as it provides a time to relax, but others find it adds to the already existing stress from exams and studying.

Midfielder for the girls varsity, Ariana Munoz (‘18) says “The hardest thing about having games and exams at the same time is time management.”  She also said that having practice helps her to relax and “calm my stress from school.”

Rachel Dias (‘16), agreed with Munoz, saying that the hardest part was the time management.  She added, “I’m stressing about not only doing well on my exams, but also doing well and winning my game.”

Not only can the games be a distraction and a time consumer, but they also start and end late in the evening.  Most players do not get home until about 10:00 pm, meaning that getting enough sleep is very difficult.  The late nights mean little to no study time can be found.  Players said the time that is spent studying is until late in the night and even sometimes into the morning

Preparing for the exams can be one of the hardest things to do during the school year. Taya Edwards (‘17) said she studied by “making sure I study for my exam ahead of time so I am not trying to cram.”

Gabriel Mascarenhas (Masca), a junior, said that the study time was the hardest thing to manage during districts.  Masca said “This year was lucky because I don’t have anything on Tuesday, so I can do everything Tuesday.”

Most of the soccer players agree that although the games and extra practices take up valuable study time, the games help them to relax and let some of the stress and worry out.  Also, the exercise helps to get the brain moving and help the students to focus on the work ahead.