Row Row Row Your Boat (Anything but Gently) Down the River

The view from the Human Crew Pile.

Journey Wise, Contributing Writer

For a first-time rower, regatta day 1) starts too early and 2) ends too late.

Regardless of the 5 a.m. wake-up call and the fact that Bolles Head Coach, Alex Binkowski, likes to refer to a regatta as “an Italian word for cold, wet, and running behind schedule” – there are a few burning questions inside the head of a first-time oarsman – like whether spandex unisuits and water shoes will ever be in style.

Taking place at Bolles’ “home course”, the Ortega River Race Course, Bolles had a total of sixteen boats spread across fifteen different races in the Stanton Riverbank Invitational. Events included women’s and men’s fours, as well as eights, along with two middle school fours.

The first regatta for many, athletes wondered about racing, food, mud, along with all other things you think of when you picture a $40,000, 55 foot carbon fiber rowing shell racing down a river.

Freshman and first-time rower, Amanda Morales, thought “it was fun and I enjoyed it”,  even stating that she thought she would be bored, but was pleasantly surprised.

With rowing experience from last Fall season, along with many years watching her older brother (and US Men’s National Team Coxswain), Jake Mendelson, sophomore Hannah Mendelson (’18), claimed that she “expected it to be hectic and busy after seeing her brother’s regattas, but it turned out to be a pretty smooth process.”

A great showing for many Bolles boats, the race garnered several placing finishes including 2nd and 3rd place finishes for the Women’s JV4 and V4 respectively. As well, the Men’s team won many races including first place finishes for the V4, V8, 3V8, and Freshman Four.

The following Saturday (March 5th), the crew team travelled back to the Ortega River Race Course for a double dual style competition (racing against only a few teams) against Space Coast Crew, Capital City Rowing, and Jacksonville Episcopal. With ideal weather and calm water, the team had another great showing.

Placing first in the Women’s V4 (with a JV lineup!) and Men’s 2V8 categories, and a few other 2nd place finished, the crew raced against stiff competition with power and grace.
With medals and blisters for show, the team looks forward to a season of speed and success, racing next against Episcopal and Pine Crest on the 19th of March.