The Tradition of Senior Nights in Sports

Claire Cywes, Contributing Writer

While the purpose of Senior Nights is to honor the seniors, allowing them to say goodbye to their teammates, the simple ceremony can hold a lot of meaning for players, coaches and parents.  Even if it is the athlete’s first year participating in the sport, they are still honored as if they had played their whole high school career.

This year, the state champion basketball team had a fun and energetic Senior Night. The game was against their rivals, Bishop Kenny. Austin Williams (‘16), said, “It was exciting.  There were a lot of people there.” 

During halftime, the seniors were called out one by one and walked onto the court with their family.  Williams walked with his mom, dad, and brother.  “They announced our names, said where we were going, brought out our families, and we gave our moms flowers and things.” said Williams.  The moms said they were very proud of their sons and they loved the flowers. 

Another sport that had a fun and successful Senior Night was the girls soccer team.  Ella Edwards (‘19) said that she was looking forward to senior night and that it “is always fun.” Her sister Taya will be a senior next year.  Edwards said of next year’s ceremony, “I’m planning something special and maybe I’ll get her some flowers.”

During this year’s senior night, the seniors walked to the midfield during halftime with their families. After the game against one of the toughest teams, Creekside, who the girls beat 2-1, they went into the canteen and had a dinner to honor the seniors.   

Also on the soccer team, Macy Crouch (‘16) said that the overall atmosphere of senior night depends on the “team bonding.” She also described the events of the senior nights during her 4 years of playing on the team.  In her freshman year, Crouch noted that the experience “cool–we got cupcakes but there wasn’t really an emotional connection.”  

“But in my sophomore year,” continued Crouch, “Carla Dominguez and Emily Hume were seniors and it was really sad.”

“Then, junior year when Maddy and Cary graduated, me and Abby cried.” said Crouch. “It made us realize that it would be us next year. We have to enjoy this while we can.”

Now, in her senior year, Crouch has experienced a senior night dedicated to her class. During halftime, one of the soccer dads announced the girls’ favorite teachers, favorite soccer memories, colleges they were attending, possible majors, and athletic accomplishments. The seniors were given flowers as they walked to midfield with their families. Crouch also described the “ongoing joke” in which she is called her “soccer superstar name, Marcy Crotch”, as for many years, announcers had been confusing her name.  When she saw the poster and was asked if she wanted a new one, she said she would like to keep it to remind her of the joke and the team.

During the track senior night, the seniors received goodie bags as they walked out onto the field.  They also got posters with their pictures.  The reason is not only for the seniors, but also for the parents, as it allowed them to have an almost life sized image of their sons and daughters.  “My mom likes it”, said Rawan Farah (‘16), a track distance runner. 

Not only are the Senior Nights enjoyable for the players, but also for their coaches and parents.

However, for most parents, Senior Nights also bring home the realization of a child’s graduation.

Mrs. Jennifer Crouch, Macy’s mom, said, “It’s the first night you really realize that your child is a senior and that they will be moving on next year.”  

The parents feel not just sadness on the senior nights, but also an immense amount of pride.

Parent and coach of the baseball team, Mike Boswell, said, “My senior night experience was filled with different emotions.  I was very sad it was coming to an end (yes, I had tears in my eyes).  I was very proud of my son’s accomplishments and I was excited that he was moving on from high school.”  

No matter the tradition, Senior Night recognizes all the valuable people in an athlete’s competitive journey and honors the athletes too. According to Coach Matt Morris, Senior Night is a way to recognize the commitment, successes and contribution of each senior athlete.”