Killin’ It on the Court

Riley Coonan (’17) alongside her parents after accomplishing 1000 kills in her volleyball career

Aoife O'Riordan, Literary Editor

Volleyball player Riley Coonan (‘17) recently reached her 1000th kill in volleyball, achieving a sought-after goal. The term kill is used in volleyball when the ball falls right above the net in which two opposing players must jump and attempt to hit the ball on the other side, successfully scoring a point.

A volleyball player since age 7, Riley says that she didn’t even consider reaching 1000 kills until her freshman year when her stats started counting and being ranked alongside other players in Jacksonville.

“I remember thinking it was amazing to be ranked in the top 10 of the city for the amount of kills I had freshman year.” Riley explained.

Her goal to reach 1000 kills only escalated throughout her years in high school, needing 160 more kills coming into senior year.

“During our second game senior year, I looked up at my dad in the stands after a few kills and saw him do a little fist pump.” Riley said.

While her 1000 kills can be attributed to hard work, Riley also credits her team, saying that she “would not have been able to do it without the amazing team behind (her). I love these girls to death and they are the ones who give me the passes and sets to get the kills.”