Artist of the Month

Ana Torubara, Managing Editor

11998264_888107011263208_255098990_n (1)Artist of the Month: Sami Cover

Below is a black and white charcoal drawing by artist of the month Sami Cover ’16. For this piece and many others she finds her inspiration by “looking around the art room and seeing what sparks my interest at the moment.” The piece to the right was motivated by her love for coffee: “I decided to use parts of a coffee machine in my kitchen then my teacher helped to add the roman architecture aspects.”

Cover loved art as she was growing up: “I’ve taken art ever since lower school.” But the “freedom to choose” her subject matter is what really prompted the adoration she has for it now. “I took it in high school to see if I could actually do art and it turns out I’m not too bad.”

As for her influences, she’s mostly kept it in the family: “My dad and my sister are both artistic so they’ve influenced me.” But there is one figure that she has to thank for everything. “The biggest influence has been Mr. Bied. He’s really taught me all that I know.”

Cover sees art in her future. “My plan for after high school is to minor in art and intermix it with whatever major I choose.” As a current AP Portfolio student she says “I definitely want to continue with art.”11997164_888107007929875_13205014_n (1)