Bolles Students Off Campus: What’s Our Grade?

Students receives positive reviews from Starbucks baristas.

Laina Segel, Contributing Writer

Think back to your last Starbucks run, or your last trip to Planet Smoothie during lunch.  Do you remember what you ordered?  Now, the important part: do you remember how you ordered?  You may not…but the employee who waited on you does.

Each weekday many Bolles students frequent neighborhood establishments; and in doing so, we represent Bolles.  Alexa Perryman, a cashier at Tijuana Flats in Lakewood, reports favorable experiences with Bolles kids.  “They usually come in after games, and they’re hyped up,” she said.  “They’re loud, but that’s all teenagers.  There’s no extra mess, and they’ve never caused a disturbance.”  

Employees at the Lakewood Starbucks are also mostly positive.  “They’re polite, for the most part,” said barista Val H.  Co-worker Jamin Lee agreed, describing the Bolles clientele as respectful.  Lee did say that some students “aren’t that great interacting with people who don’t go to school with them.”  

However, Lee was quick to point to a coffee mug that five Bolles students decorated and gave to him last year, displayed prominently above the register.

Not all feedback is positive, though.  Of the three Starbucks employees, one wished to remain anonymous.  This employee felt strongly that “(Bolles students) don’t know about people who aren’t privileged.”  Lee argued that students aren’t trying to be disrespectful, but acknowledged that “they have their ways.”  One can conclude that Bolles students are usually polite and respectful, but we may not make the extra effort to have friendly interaction with local establishments.  Jay, a Planet Smoothie employee, said that he can tell who is from Bolles”by the way they’re dressed.”  He stated also that Bolles students are mostly athletes and groups of friends, and that they are usually very nice.  His co-worker Alexandria echoed his sentiment, affirming, “We’ve never had a problem.”  

The Bolles motto includes the words “integrity” and “compassion”.  These are the behaviors we are expected to display both on and off campus.  In fact, how we behave in our community is just as important as our behavior at school.  A random customer can cut in line or act impatiently without damage to his or her character, because no one knows their name.  However, while local employees don’t know our individual names, they know our collective name: Bolles.  

Unlike other local patrons who can enjoy a leisurely lunch or a long coffee break, Bolles students panic if the line moves slowly.  Seniors who are allowed off campus have less than an hour to get food and return.  Most teachers are not lenient about tardiness, and the student will have to first sign back in before returning to class.  Waiting behind a person who can’t decide between a mocha and a pumpkin spice latte takes precious time that Bolles students do not have.  A stressed student may snap at an employee; and even if it’s just once, it tarnishes Bolles’ reputation.  It is important that we continue to earn our welcome in the community by demonstrating the integrity and compassion that Bolles’ motto demands.  To our credit, local restaurant employees seem pleased with Bolles customers.  Ms. Perryman concluded, “They’re really nice and respectful.”  

Teachers and counselors give us warnings and second chances, but neighborhood vendors do not.  We Bolles students are in a unique situation because we are not random and anonymous; and each time we enter a local establishment, we represent the school.