Meet Mrs. Roland

Above: Roland and her husband pose for a family picture with their dog.

Chris Hanna, Contributing Writer

At one point in her life, when doing an educator’s marine boot camp in a viewing to allow teachers to learn and help recruit students into the army, she shot an ak-47. The educator’s marine boot camp occurred on Parris Island. She shot both a real ak-47 and a simulator for the ak-47.

She is not only an innovative teacher, but she also has a few very interesting hobbies. Some of the sports and hobbies she likes to participate in are reading, traveling, cross fit, gardening, photography, and she enjoys going to church.

One of her favorite hobbies is traveling, one of her biggest trips was on her honeymoon. During her honeymoon, she went on an all across Europe trip including the countries Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and her personal favorite Italy. She said that all of the countries were absolutely beautiful, but she favored Italy for the all-around experience and even considered moving there for a while. She also visited a lot of the states and more local countries such as Hawaii and the Bahamas.

She went to college in Alabama at Troy University. She majored in English and history and then decided to become a teacher and after teaching in schools in Texas for a while, she decided she would move to Florida and continue teaching.  She decided it was time for a change and she is loving Jacksonville.

As a child she lived in a large family that consisted of 6 children, including herself, 3 boys and 3 girls. She was the youngest of all the children in the family. In her younger days, around middle school, she took tap dancing classes although she didn’t continue later on into her life.

Some of Mrs. Roland’s favorite local restaurants are Don Juan’s and V’s Pizza. She is a huge fan of Mexican food.

As a teacher for 19 years, I can’t wait to have my English teacher as Mrs. Roland.

Mrs. Roland is a teacher who cares a lot about her students, she believes that every student has the ability accomplish pretty much anything if he or she put his or her mind to it. She said, ”I believe every student can learn and achieve.”