Day in the life of an Office Aid

Reza Chahlavi, Contributing Writer

Being an Office Aid is a serious job mixed in with some excitement.

Office Aid is when students that sign up, participate in delivering notes and messages to students around campus. Students can take this job on instead of a study hall. Most students when asked why they take it say that it is an addition to study hall and adds excitement to their daily routines.

Often Office Aids deliver dean slips, demerit slips, advisor slips, and remind teachers to turn in their attendance. They deliver notes for the first five minutes then for the rest of the time they take turns reminding teachers to turn in their attendance.

Even though it is only five minutes of delivering notes, some office aids regret that they became an office aid. Josh Zimmerman (‘19) said that it takes too much time away from studying which makes it hard for him to finish his work.

Other office aids such as Chase Rivera (‘19) enjoy being an office aid. Rivera replied that it is better to be free to walk around then be stuck in a class. “It’s an addition to study hall, you’re an office aid for the first five minutes, and then the rest is a study hall,” said Rivera.

Office aids sometimes find themselves in awkward situations inside a classroom. Rivera remembers two occasions where this happened, “Once I was delivering a note and when I walked into the classroom the whole class was having a tea party.” The other time Rivera was delivering a note and when he opened the door, it hit the teacher on the face and she fell down. Luckily, she was not hurt.

Some of that excitement comes from fear. Once Rivera said he walked into the classroom of a teacher and when Rivera delivered the note and was about to leave, the teacher stopped him and started yelling at him for not being polite enough.

This goes to show that office duty is not all boring, it keeps you on your toes. You get to walk around the campus while still having time to study and do work. According to Mrs. Nettles a good office aid is always on time and gets the job done.