Throw Back Thursday

Ben Greenhut, Contributing Writer

Throughout the history of Bolles, The Bolles Bugle has covered many important people and events. Today, we will focus on an individual, a Bolles graduate and a War Hero, Captain Jack McCulloch, class of 1935.

Afterwards, he attended both the University of Florida and Davidson College. Students from Bolles still send students to those school today. Since 2010, 118 Bolles students have gone to Florida while 10 have attended Davidson.

In 1941, Captain McCulloch joined the Army and became an aviator. In the Sicilian Campaign of WWII, he was awarded the Silver Star, for “gallantry in action while participating in aerial flight during the Sicilian Campaign as a flight leader pilot in an unprotected and unarmed troop carrier air craft.” There are not many other details on the incident Captain McCulloch was awarded the Silver Star for. The Silver Star is the nation’s third highest decoration for valor.

However, another event McCulloch was involved in is detailed in a Bugle article about the Bolles alum. While returning from dropping paratroopers over enemy territory, “…When he had finished and started back to base he was being fired upon when his engine caught fire…” Fortunately, he was able to skillfully ditch into the sea and was later rescued by friendly naval ships. Throughout the history of Bolles, The Bolles Bugle has covered many important people and events.  Captain McCulloch was one of many Bolles graduates to fight for the greater good.