The Best of Both Worlds: 5-Day Boarding Program

Andrew Culver, Contributing Writer

The Boarding program at Bolles is one of the school’s most prominent features, not only allowing students from all over the world to attend Bolles, but also providing local students with a one of a kind, diverse learning environment. But some Bolles students fall in between the local and international groups, making hour and a half treks from neighboring towns and cities to attend Bolles. So this year, the administration has decided to bring back the 5-day boarding program to accommodate students living in Northeast Florida, but not in the local Jacksonville area.

“We had a 5 day boarding program when I first started here, then our numbers got very high and we did away with it,” said Mike Boswell, the Boys’ Resident Dean. “We looked at (bringing it back) as a two-fold opportunity for guys that live an hour or an hour and a half away that want to go to school, but can’t handle the travel. The other part of it is to give upperclassmen the experience of what college is going to be like.”

Cameron Bruce, a Senior from Ponte Vedra who chose to participate in the 5 day boarding program this year, said his experience with the program has been positive. He enjoyed getting to spend more time with friends who lived in the dorms. “The drive (from Ponte Vedra) was stressful. I thought it would help to live in an academic environment, and have more time to devote to my schoolwork,” said Bruce.

Bruce also feels that he is fully integrated into dorm life, and enjoys having the option to “come home for family meals,” while still getting to be a part of the boarding program. He recommends the program to other students in his situation, citing the social and academic benefits as his main reasons for participating in the program.

The main goal of the 5-day boarding program though is to increase overall enrollment of boarding students at Bolles. “Nationally, there is a downward trend in boarding in America. It is a way to increase the potential pool of boarding students who live nearby, but live just far enough away that it’s a burden to commute to Bolles.”

As a separate program from full-time boarding, some students may worry that they will feel isolated from the rest of the boarders, and not get to participate in activities on the weekends with their friends in the dorms. Boswell tells students that they should not be worried about being left out from dorm life. 5-day boarders are treated as full-time residents during the week, and can even participate in weekend activities if they so choose. “If we do any exciting activities during the weekend, they can certainly stay and be a part of that,” said Boswell.

As one of the most desirable high schools in the United States, Bolles attracts students from all areas of Florida and the globe. For students living within 90 miles of the campus, but living far enough away that making the daily commute consumes too much time, the 5 day boarding program offers upperclassmen the opportunity to ease stress on their parents while getting a taste of college life.